History of FCBC
Our church has a long and fruitful history in the community. Organized in 1811 by Rev. Stephen Morgan, we are the third oldest Baptist church in Buncombe County. the first building was constructed of hewn logs and was located near the church cemetery. Our oldest existing church minutes are dated 1833. The first minister to be ordained in our church was Robert Patterson. The first surviving membership list, dated 1837, gives the names of 58 members. In 1839, fifty-two bushels of corn were pledged for a building addition. Committees were elected to write obituaries of deceased members. These were read before the church and became a part of the minutes. In 1879, the church petitioned for a letter of dismission from the New Found Association to unite with the French Broad Association. In 1882, the church petitioned the French Broad Association for a letter of dismission to unite with the Buncombe Association. Between 1839 and 1922, five new churches grew out of our membership. In 1871, John Clayton, was was permitted to preach in this house when not in use; and a year later, Brother Pendland of Presbyterian faith was given the same privilege. In 1880, the church adopted a resolution forbidding anymore public speaking or elections to be held in the church. Pledges were taken in 1888 for a new building. On the first Sunday in June 1889, services were held in the new church. Brothers Wesley and Perry Sprinkles held a revival here in 1921, resulting in 121 conversions. Our current sanctuary began with a groundbreaking ceremony in 1947. The fellowship hall was completed in 1985.